Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Molly's First Play Date

Celebrating the first day of Spring with ice cream and play time with friends!  Jack had "banilla" ice cream per his request.


When Jack was about 4 months old we joined a play group.  We've been a member of that group for nearly 3 years now and joining the group ranks up there as one of the best decisions I've made as a parent to date.  Being a member of our play group has allowed us to make great friends, explore new places, and above all else encourages homebody me to get out of the house!  This is key to maintaining sanity as a stay-at-home-mom.  If not for our play group I'm certain that I would spend far more days than I already do holed up in the house wearing yoga pants and one of my husband's old t-shirts.  It's beneficial to everyone! 

All of this is important because although I very much enjoyed getting out with Jack to see friends and play, I didn't know how all of this would work with Molly in toe.  Basically, it boils down to the fact that I was incredibly nervous about adding another baby to the mix.  Before Molly's arrival I anticipated the worst and saw our lives being completely derailed and me not having the ability to juggle more than one child.  The good news is fearing the worst has made for a much, MUCH better transition to having two kids than I ever anticipated.

Quietly taking it all in.


Today was our very first play date with Molly in attendance.  Jack and I have been to a few play dates since Molly's arrival, but with Mark home I was able to leave her with daddy while Jack and I got out of the house for a bit.  It was nice for us to get out like we used to and I know that Jack enjoyed doing something with just me like we did before Molly joined our family.  But now, with Mark back to work, the luxury of having daddy home during the day to watch which ever child whenever was necessary is no longer possible.  So today we attended a play date with Molly along for the ride and I'm happy to report I consider it a success. 

We all made it to the play date on time.  Jack was able to run around with his friends, enjoying himself and expelling some energy.  I was able to socialize with friends.  Molly happily napped in the wrap the majority of the time, but also contentedly took in some sights from the security of her perch on my chest.  Jack and Molly both ate lunch.  One had PB&J and grapes, the other a bottle.  I'll let you decide which ;)  Jack and I both enjoyed some ice cream and then we all made it back home, in one piece, with all of our belongings, and I was able to get Jack down for some rest time before Molly needed my attention.  Winning all around! 

Tuckered out from all the socializing and meeting new friends.


Now, it did take me a very full 45 minutes to get us all ready and out the door with my new larger-to-accommodate-multiple-children diaper bag fully packed and I was tired by 10.30am when we arrived at our play date, but hey, we got out of the house, we enjoyed ourselves and I broke the seal on this whole getting out with two children by myself thing so I'll give myself a big ol' pat on the back for this success! 

I might just be able to successfully handle this whole momma to two thing after all.  Good thing since there's no going back now!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts!