Sunday, February 1, 2009

My Superbowl Contribution.

Oops, am I allowed to mention the hallowed name "Superbowl" without the trademark people coming after me? I hope I'm safe. ::eye roll::

I can't contribute team spirit, or excitment about the big game. I can't contribute football knowledge, or intelligently discuss what's happening on the screen in front of me. Actually, I have to force myself to stay awake because I don't like football. (I know it's a cardinal sin to confess this since I'm a born and bred Central Ohioan, but I'll take my chances ; ) )

What I can contribute is Superbowl worthy food. I do love to cook.

For this evening's main event, I'm bringing Buffalo Chicken Dip (always a favorite), Black Bean and Corn Salsa (delicious and healthy), and these little cuties:

Whoopie Pies (shaped like footballs)


I think they turned out pretty cute and hopefully they put people in the game day spirit :)

The recipe:


1 box devil's food chocolate cake
1 small box instant chocolate pudding

1. Prepare cake mix according to box instructions, except use only 3/4 cup of water instead of what the box suggests.

2. Mix on medium speed for about 2 mins until everything is well combined.

3. Add in instant pudding and mix to combine.

4. Drop small mounds onto a silicone lined baking sheet (I used a cookie scoop)

*5. Before I put these in the oven, I used the back of a wet spoon to try to shape the balls into more of an oval to look like footballs.

6. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

7. Allow to cool and decorate and fill as you like. (Note: traditional whoopie pies are fillied with a marshmallow-y filling, which Mark complained about, so I ended up filling them with a traditional vanilla frosting, and using some of the icing to pipe out on the tops to draw laces)

8. I like my whoopie pies chilled, so after they are filled, pop them into the fridge for a bit to chill down.

Enjoy!

*adapted from AllRecipes.com

1 comment:

Please Share Your Thoughts!