Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Works for Me Wednesday: Saving a Few Pennies



Yep, still sick over here.  I'm so over it.  This has been the longest week in the history of weeks already and guys?  It's only Wednesday.  Oy vey.  Jack has decided that his personal prescription for momma getting better involves 7am wake up calls.  Not the week for it, kid.  So yeah, abnormally long days + sick momma + bored, stuck inside toddler = no good all around.  No idea why he's rushing to greet the day every morning.  I'd prefer to stay in bed all day.

ANYWAY, even though I'm dying a slow death over here I thought I'd share with you one of my penny saving tips.  I'm all about saving the pennies!  I really think saving a few pennies is worth it because it really adds up and every little bit helps when you have a tight budget with little wiggle room.  And the bonus of this tip is, not only does it save a little bit of money, but it ends up actually working better!

I use my dishwasher as a drying rack:


I have the "heated dry" turned off and once the dishwasher finishes running through it's cleaning cycle I just open it up and pull the racks out and allow everything to air dry.  Let me tell you, I've found that not only does it save money and energy, but it actually works BETTER than the heated dry option!  Now, we have an older dishwasher so I don't know, maybe newer dishwashers have a better drying option, but when I let the dishwasher do the heated dry thing everything still comes out wet.  I'm pretty sure it's because there's still all that moisture trapped in there from the dishwasher running, you know?  So, opening it up and letting it air dry actually works out better because the stuff gets drier.  Especially all that plastic stuff that really holds on to the water.  It's really a win-win!

Next time you run a load of dishes try it for yourself! 

1 comment:

  1. That works for us, too! But we pull out only the bottom rack. If items in the top rack have puddles on them, when you pull out the rack they spill onto the dishes in the bottom rack, which are then wetter than they were. So we don't pull it out until after putting away the dishes from the bottom. The top rack seems to dry about as well inside the dishwasher with the door open as it does pulled out.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts!