Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I don't want to sound conceited or anything, but... I'm kind of a big deal


I have a very special ability, which should not be taken lightly. I can conjure a torrential downpour out of the clear blue sky!  I should really charge for these services and start predicting the local forecast or traveling to drought-stricken parts of the country to help them out.  This special ability should not be squandered.  Because it seems like without fail, every time I hang a load of laundry on the line outside BAM! magical downpour!

Now, I guess I should disclaim that I live in Ohio, which has apparently become land of crappy weather and if it's not cold and snowing then it's hot and raining.  No in between.  It seems like most days this Spring and Summer have been either rainy, or with a chance of rain/severe thunderstorms, which makes it oh so easy to plan considering it might be bright and sunny all day, or there may be some random lightening and hail coming at you, but HEY!  We're spontaneous like that!  We're a fun folk, we Ohioans.

Look!  I'll play local weatherperson!  Ahem.  Today it'll be face-of-the-sun-hot outside with 95% humidity and a heat index of 105-degrees.  We may or may not experience a deluge of rain, lightening, and hail at any point during the day with no warning so make sure to hang on to those umbrellas!

Last Monday, with scattered or isolated (or whatever, just the whole it may or may not rain thing) showers/thunderstorms in our forecast, I agonized over the radar projections and because it wasn't looking so good out, I went ahead and dried diapers in the dryer.  Of course after I did that it cleared up, became sunny, and never ended up raining.  Forecast fail.

Wednesday, it was bright and sunny all morning.  No rain in the forecast (for once!) and I'd been keeping my eye on the radar periodically which showed clear skies for our area!  So, I put diapers outside.  I should just accept at this point that Mother Nature hates me and really enjoys raining on my parade... er... diapers as it were, but I like to pretend like the weather doesn't revolve around me.

Several hours later I notice that the sky has suddenly gone from sunny to cloudy.  As I'm looking out the window it gets even more ominous looking and I just know that a storm is about to hit.  So I go to bring up the radar on my computer and before I can even get the thing to load it starts raining.  I immediately jump up and run outside (why?  I have no idea.  What am I going to do?) and once I'm out there (getting rained on) I decide I'm just going to take the diapers down.  I get about 5 items off the line before I realize that I'm outside in a total downpour complete with thunder and lightening and that my attempts are futile as not only is all the laundry already totally soaked at this point, but now I am too.

This all happened in the course of about 5 minutes and as I sit watching my diapers getting soaked I just *know* that in 10 minutes, it's going to be bright and sunny again and my head is going to explode because I swear, more than half the time this happens to me.  If I skip hanging things outside, no rain.  Hang things outside?  RAIN.  I cause teh rainz I tells ya!

And the real kick in the rump is how counterproductive this whole situation is.  Had I just taken the clean diapers from the washer and tossed them directly into the dryer I would have had dry diapers by the time the rain came through.  Because I decided I was going to take advantage of the "nice" weather and hang diapers outside I had to go out in sweltering heat and humidity straight out of the Amazon Rainforest, trying all the while not to perish of heatstroke, to get the diapers hung on the line just to have them soaked by rain and have to bring them in to put in the dryer ANYWAY, which, by the by, ended up taking a cycle and a half to even get them dry because they were so wet!  So I wasted time, energy, and sanity on this ultra-rewarding endeavor of mine.  Gotta love days like that!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha I love this post! Especially your local weatherperson projections. I always thought we had bad weather in New England, but I have to say I think the Midwest is worse!

    Thanks for linking up to Toddle Along Tuesday at Growing Up Geeky and Our Growing Garden!

    I'm your newest follower via GFC :)

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts!