I know this. I really do.
However, after spending an evening up close and personal with my finances I too realize that taxes are not my friend.
Why is this? A few things actually. Please allow me to break them down.
1) I owe the federal government $917.
2) I owe the city government $27.
3) My return from the State is $114. This amount does not negate what I owe. Please see above.
4) I was not allowed to claim any education credit for tuition or school related-expenses as I have in the past. Apparently this is not allowed when one is "married - filing separately". Whaaa?! Just because I'm married doesn't mean I'm not po'. Because I am. Married. And
5) I had 2 W-2s to deal with this year.
6) According to my multiple W-2s, I had taxes taken out for Dublin, Columbus, AND Gahanna in 2008. Three different cities. How do I still owe a city money?! Where is my return on this?!
7) I owe the federal government a considerable amount of money yet they already took 10% of my paycheck. According to my tax breakdown I actually owe them 15%. WHY?!
I conclusion, I hate the government.*
*Please note: I don't *really* hate the federal government - please don't start monitoring me 24/7 - I'm just angry when confronted with the reality of my taxes in conjunction with what that money has been spent on thus far vs. what I actually net. I got over my anger (mostly) and stopped my intermittent cussing (mostly) after I had a glass of wine and some pizza.