Monday, April 12, 2010

Motherhood is SO much better than pregnancy!

When I was pregnant and would tell people how much I was looking forward to the end of my pregnancy I would get a polite chuckle and then some response about how much easier pregnancy is than motherhood and how I would be looking back fondly on the days when I had an "inside baby".

Pregnancy. Easier? Yes. Do I have fond, sepia colored memories of it now that I have an outside baby? Hell-to-the-naw.

There were definitely some things that were easier. Namely, I only had to take care of myself which was hard enough.

However, at the same time I spent the last 8 weeks of pregnancy in constant pain and discomfort. I had ZERO energy. I couldn't sleep. And a whole other list of maladies.

Now that the baby is here I have my body back to myself and I'm starting to feel like the old me. Towards the end of my pregnancy I was scared that I would always feel like I did. Six weeks post-partum and my body is finally bouncing back! I have energy again! And range of motion! Heck, I can put my own socks and shoes on without any problems!

Aside from all of that I love my new little partner in crime! I love that I feel our bond growing on a daily basis. I'm thankful that I have the opportunity to devote my life to caring for my child. I feel like he's changing every day and I cherish every smile, every time he cries for me to pick him up, and every little kick of his feet. I love that I'm really beginning to understand his cues and that he relies on me for his every need. I still feel like we're getting to know each other and Lord knows he's a lot to keep up with, but it's so gratifying! My life feels so much more complete now.

Motherhood. Easy? Not a chance. Fulfilling? Joyful? Amazing? Totally.

And I wouldn't trade my life for anything. Not even a daily shower, the chance to brush my teeth before 2pm, get dressed in the morning, or eat regular meals : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts!