Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Hidden Cost of Parenthood

When I was pregnant people had lots of warnings to share with me.  I heard all about the horrors of parenthood: sleepless nights, crying baby, loveless marriages, the end of your life.  It's actually amazing anyone voluntarily has kids with all the negative stuff people were intent on preaching to me about!  Can we say scary?! 

Let me just debunk the aforementioned rumors while I'm here - parenthood is a privilege.  Minus the first 2 weeks which were very life altering and a challenge to get through, I have nothing negative to report.  I know that I'm lucky in that, but I can't help but feel that people often over exaggerate while lamenting on the horrors of parenthood. 

Now, something that would have been nice to hear, but was never told to me:  batteries.  They are expensive and they are a necessity!  EVERYTHING takes batteries.  You know how some people stockpile diapers while pregnant in preparation for baby?  I say no!  Walk past the aisles of diapers and get thee straight to the electronics department to buy stock in batteries! 

Again, while pregnant I heard parents bemoan about the cost of diapers, clothes, formula, and all the other "necessities" when you have a child.  But no one mentioned the cost of batteries!  Or the fact that they die quickly! 

The most important thing in our house right now is Jack's swing.  Since he was about 2 weeks old he has been sleeping in his swing which flattens out into somewhat of a bassinet.  This thing has been a savior.  And as long as he's happy sleeping in it, I'm fine with it!  However, that thing eats batteries like nothing I've never seen before! 

The swing takes (4) D-batteries at a time.  To run it about 3 - 4 hours a day we drain the batteries about every 2 weeks.  This adds up to a cost of approximately $16 - $18 per month.  Of course this doesn't break the bank, but when you look at it over the course of a year it adds up to $192 - $216.  That's quite a chunk of money.  And add to that all the other batteries you need for the baby monitor, the bouncy seat, the flashy-singing thing on the play gym/mat, etc.  It really starts to add up to be a hidden expense!

I've thought about purchasing rechargeable batteries, but they're more expensive, I'm not sure that they even make them in D's, and I've heard negative things about them no longer holding a charge if you have to recharge them frequently.  So I guess we'll have to stick with buying new batteries every 2 weeks for now! 

Next time I go to a baby shower and I want to gift something useful I'm including some packs of batteries.  The momma to be will surely thank me later!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I hear you - the batteries are insane and I hate to say it, it doesn't get much better as they age. Almost everything takes batteries these days!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog to check out the summer reading list! I read House Rules and I liked it - it wasn't my favorite Picoult book but I did find it to be a good read! Enjoy!

    Natalie at Mommy on Fire
    http://www.mommyonfire.com

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts!