Tuesday, July 20, 2010

4 Months!

Being that Jackers is closer to 5 months now than 4 I'm a little behind on posting these pictures.  It has taken me a while to upload them from my camera to the computer, but without further ado... the cuteness:












Jack is SO CLOSE to sitting up on his own.  He has total control on the sitting up part and can do so with minimal assistance, but he hasn't quite got the balance thing yet and will just topple to the side in a sitting position if you don't help him stay up. 

He hasn't started on any solids yet, but his night time sleep hours have become a little erratic recently so this might be a sign that it's time for a little bit of cereal.  We'll see.  He's still mostly sleeping through the night, but he's been waking in the morning a little earlier and occasionally will wake for a night time feeding.  We've also had a couple of harder nights with getting him to sleep, but I think that may be due to teething as he's definitely showing signs of this and has been for a while now.  He's still sleeping in our room overnight. 

His two favorite toys are Sophie the Giraffe and his feet.  He tries really hard to get his toes in his mouth, but only succeeds sometimes.  He's very interested in grabbing them though.  He also has been chewing on his hands a lot probably due to the teething.  His new favorite toy is his Jumparoo!  This kid loves to kick his legs all day long so the Jumparoo is a perfect outlet for him.  He goes crazy in this thing!  I'll have to do a separate post on this soon complete with pictures and video so that you can experience the sheer joy of him in his Jump Jump.

He's doing better with naps.  On average, he usually will go down for 3 naps a day (late morning, afternoon, and early evening) sleeping for about 45 minutes at a time and he's been napping in his crib.  However, some days are better than others with the napping.  I wouldn't say he's too consistent with this and we REALLY have trouble transitioning him from sleeping in our arms to sleeping in the crib.  As soon as his hiney touches that mattress it's like an instant alarm waking him up, but if we put him down before he's fully asleep he won't go to sleep.  It can be very frustrating at times!  We're hoping he grows out of this! 

What else has been going on...  he's been rolling from tummy to back for a while now, but he won't do it all the time.  At his doctor's appointment last week she put him down on his tummy and he flipped right over 1-2-3!  I guess he wanted to show off for Dr. T!  He now weighs 14lb 5oz (50th percentile) and is 24 1/4 inches in length (around 75th percentile).  Still long and lean!  He has *almost* outgrown his 0-3 month onesies, but not quite.  We did buy some 3-6 monthers last week so they're all ready to go!

And his newest interest is our faces.  Recently he has begun reaching out for our faces to feel them (and sometimes pinch, slap, or scratch them, OUCH!) and he's also interested in touching our mouths, especially when we talk.  I love it!  It's like you can see the wheels turning in his head:

"why does momma's cheek feel softer than daddy's?"
"what's this thing moving for?"
"how about this thing on the side of their head, what's that?"
"And all this soft stuff hanging off of momma's head, it's really easy for me to grab and pull!"

4 comments:

  1. Yeah Jack! He sounds like he is healthy and getting big!!

    I would highly recommend the book "Health Sleep Habits, Healthy Child." I read so many when we had Logan and this one was the best. It's not the cry it out method, which I hated. Unfortunately, as we learned with our first, healthy sleep habits are taught and not something they outgrow. No one ever told me that I'd have to "teach" my child how to sleep and sleep well...but you really do. It's the best gift you can give them. Logan is now an swesome sleeper (after the first two years of misery but that was our fault...we never taught him how to go to sleep on his own...we held him all the time.)

    I actually just put a copy of this book on hold at the library because I need to reference it with Lauren. It has been a life-saver for us and has really taught us how to teach them to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look into that. I just finished reading "The Baby Sleep Book" by Dr. Sears. I love all the Dr. Sears books and this one was great, but it also focused a lot on the getting to sleep part, which isn't what our problem is. It's more of the transitioning from sleeping in our arms to sleeping elsewhere that's the problem :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is adorable! I love your pics!

    Btw, I just realized something- I know you!!! I stumbled upon your blog from a Sunday Stroll post and as I was reading I began to realize you're the one who's wedding bio I got the direction to dye my crinoline for my wedding! I mention you in my bio:
    http://jebuellwedding.angelfire.com/planning.html#My_Dresses

    I don't think I ever got to thank you for that. I really love how it turned out and it was a huge hit at my wedding. I got my dress for free and while I loved that it was free I didn't really love it, but this helped make it more "me"! So, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember you! ::waves hi:: Ahh, the good ol' days of The Knot. *sigh*

    I've been reading your blog and didn't make the connection until I looked at your bio. I'm glad your crinoline-dying worked out. I kinda winged it when I did it and I nearly gave my husband a heart attack by experimenting with dumping boxes of bright pink dye into our washer! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts!