Friday, August 29, 2008

Book Club Meeting

::Happy Friday Dance::

It is the (payday!) Friday-eve of a 3-day Holiday Weekend! I am so very excited!

Yesterday evening was the first official meeting of our Book Club. Somehow, the boys ended up tagging along to our meeting also, but that was fine because we were upstairs and they were downstairs entertained by Wii. We still got a lot of girly-quality time in. It's pretty informal - just 2 other girls and I - who usually hang out together anyway - reading the same books and setting a time and date to discuss. Fun right?

To be honest, I kind of have mixed feelings about the Book Club. When my friend first suggested it, I thought it sounded like a wonderful idea. I love to read books. I love to talk about the books I've read, but don't often get the chance to do so, so I just move right along to the next one. That part is all well and good, but the part that I don't love is reading on a schedule.

For example, our first Book Club read was Breaking Dawn. We have all been following the series so it was an obvious first choice since we knew we were all going to read it. The only issue is that the other two girls were planning to buy the book and were already waitlisted for it, while I was already on a waitlist at the library to borrow the book, which is where I get all of my reads. No big deal, one of the other ladies was more than happy to lend me her book after she finished reading it. Nothing wrong with that.

But. We decided on BD around the second week of July, it was published the first week of August, and we decided we would meet about it on the 21st of August. That's cool. I was reading other books during this time frame as always and I was waiting for either my library waitlisted book to become available, or for my friend to finish with hers. It ended up that they both became available to me on the very same day. This day was when I was halfway through a wonderful book written in a VERY different style than BD that just happened to be about 700 pages long.

*sigh*

Of course I borrowed the friend's book and let my library waitlisted book become available for others on the list to borrow. I stopped reading the book I had been reading in order to start this other 750 page book so that I could have it done by the time we were meeting. It took me quite a while to get into BD for many reasons, but I think the fact that I had to switch gears mid-read in another book to pick this one up was one of my main issues.

I'm the kind of reader that when I pick up a book - especially a great one that I really like - I'm totally into my read. I like to spend all my spare time focusing on it, and I can't wait to finish it, and usually do so in just a few days. I really dislike having to put it down, or having multiple books going at once. I feel like I can't give them both the attention that they deserve at the same time.

Of course it ended up fine, we had fun at the Book Club meeting, but of course we were only on topic about 5% of the time, the rest of the time was spent focused on other girly conversations. All in all, I had a lot of fun, I loved the actual meeting part, I really enjoyed reading the same book together, and I'm definitely going to stick with the club, but this whole experience is new to me and very interesting. I'm not sure if I will get used to this reading on a schedule thing, or if it will always slightly annoy me. Maybe I just need to plan better, which is what I'm going to try to do with the next book - Pride and Prejudice. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts!