Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Long-weekend Recap.

First, I must say that I LOVE 3-day weekends. Who doesn't? I'm not sure why we as Americans settled for a 5-day, 40 hour work week once we got that worked out early in the 20th century, but I for one think that a 4-day, 32 hour work week should certainly be the norm. I have real reasons to back this up besides laziness, but I suppose I should save this argument for another day.

Here's what I did with my lovely 3-day, escape from the prison that is my job, weekend:

Friday: I was having a wonderful day at work, of course the Powers that Be couldn't let me leave for 3 whole days feeling good, so they had to catch me in a late meeting that ticked me off. I don't want to recap that and venture back there. When Mark saved me (a.k.a. picked me up from work) we decided that we would run to the bank to deposit a few things as well as bring in my new license with my new name so that I could get my name changed over on my accounts so that I can get new debit cards, order new checks, etc., etc.

Side note: Shortly after the wedding, Mark and I went into my bank to set up some accounts and close others. We set up a joint account and he opened a personal checking, and we closed out 2 savings accounts that I had there so that we could move the funds elsewhere. We were doing all of this right after I received my new Social Security card with my new name on it, but before I had a chance to update my license.

The woman that was helping us at the time said (after verifying with a co-worker) that they couldn't accept my Social Security card with my new name as proper identification, they HAD to have my updated driver's license. She assured me that we should set up the new account and whatnot with my old name and then once I got my license updated all I had to do is bring it in and anyone would be able to just change the name on the account for me.

Back to the story: We go to the bank fairly early on a Friday trying to beat the rush which is sure to come. We go inside, which I could have just made a deposit through the ATM or drive-thru, but Noooooooooo! I wanted to get my name stuff taken care of. I go up to the counter and have to deal with the teller that creeps me out for some reason, but she's ALWAYS there and I ALWAYS get her. She makes my deposit without even checking my ID, then I say that I have changed my name and I need to get my accounts updated to reflect that. She looks at me and asks if I have my marriage license with me, because if I don't, they won't be able to change my name.

WHAT?!

The woman that I spoke with before never mentioned needing my marriage license at all. Not to mention the agencies who have issued me a new Social Security card, and a new driver's license have already seen my marriage license and approved my change of name. Why the heck does my bank need to have a copy of my marriage license on file? If I closed out my current accounts and then re-opened them under my new name (which is what Mark suggested I do) they certainly wouldn't need to verify that I got married and that's why my name changed.

So, I explain to the creepy Teller what the other woman had told me about a month before and she goes over to verify with a few co-workers, comes back and explains that I need my marriage license AND new driver's license in order to get my name changed over on my accounts. This does not please me.

So, we run BACK across town, get our marriage license, go BACK to the bank, which is very busy by now because it's getting into a Friday evening and I finally got my name changed over and my new debit cards ordered, but not without struggle as usual. Stupid bank.

After that debacle, we spent the rest of Friday evening relaxing.

Saturday: Mark watched the first Buckeye game of the season while I started my "Fall Reading Club" as he calls it. I read an entire book, which was much nicer than having to watch the game in my opinion. That evening we went out to dinner with Mark and Carrie (friends of ours) and hung out at their house for a bit where I got hissed at by the evil-cat Daisy as usual.

Sunday: We went out to my parents house to belatedly celebrate my little brother's 10th birthday as it was supposed to be last Sunday, but he got sick. When we got home I was just glad that I didn't have to work the next day.

Monday (labor day!): Mark went out to his mom's house to do some things, and I spent time doing housework/laundry and relaxing with out the noise of sports in the background, which after 3 days it can be REALLY annoying listening to the crowds yelling and the obnoxious announcers doing whatever they do. I was definitely fed up with that white noise by Monday evening.

That afternoon, we went to Kohl's to get a new outfit for me because I have an INTERVIEW TODAY! (more to come on this later I'm sure) and then we went to check out a chair and ottoman that we found on Craig'sList that I wanted for the bedroom. We ended up buying it and I think we got a pretty good deal. We paid $100 for a big overstuffed chair and ottoman. I was hoping to spend around $75 ($35 for a chair and $30 for an ottoman), but really, that was pretty low from what I've seen. I'm okay with $50 for each piece, but now I'm on the look out for a cheap chair cover.

On the way home from our errands, we stopped for some Sweet Tea (and a Coke for Mark because they have The Best, ya know! ... ) from McDonald's. I'm completely addicted to their Sweet Tea, I crave it. Very strange, but it could be worse I guess. First, we waited in the drive-thru line forever, eventually Mark decided to run inside, which also took forever. Once he finally got back, I took a sip of the Sweet Tea, it was REALLY bad. I don't know why it was so gross, but whatever it was, wasn't good. Mark refused to go back in to get refunded $1 because he said it was craziness in there. Actually, I think what he said exactly was that there was one person in there who knew what they were doing and the rest of them were standing around "holding their nuts". Heheeeeheee!

We went to a location closer to our house to get me a replacement Sweet Tea. Good thing.

When we got home we unloaded the chair and decided what outfit I would wear to my interview today. I couponed for a bit, and then sadly it was time to go to bed and the long weekend was over.

I can't believe that it's going to be Fall in a couple of weeks : (

Oh, and P.S. we ordered the matching brown leather chair for our living room suite. Now we just need to plan a yard sale for tenatively 2 weeks from this past weekend to get rid of our old furniture and other random crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts!