Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

*Sigh*

Okay, here's the deal... I'm supposed to read this for a book club. It is our second selection and is the favorite book of one of the girls in the group. I was super excited to read it, I love classics, I love great stories, but now that I'm about 1/3 of the way through the story I'm wondering what all of the hype is about.

In my opinion, the story is boring and unengaging, the characters are flat, underdeveloped, and the only character traits that I'm picking up on are frivolity and pretentiousness, which is probably why as a reader, I'm finding it hard to get invested in the characters at all. To be honest, I'm very disappointed in this novel. The only thing that I'm even moderately enjoying is the peek into genteel country life from a women's perspective during the time period in question.

I've talked it over with some friends and they say that I should press on, that I'm on the cusp of reaching and realizing the true greatness of the novel. I was tempted to just put it down and not finish, which is highly rare for me, but now I think I'll press on. I want to like this book, I really do, hopefully the second half will be more impressive than the first one thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts!