Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Certain Girls, Jennifer Weiner.

Jennifer Weiner is one of my favorite authors. I always get on the waitlist for her novels as soon as possible. She has a witty, sharp humored writing style that I really enjoy, and all of her characters are filled with personality.

Certain Girls is a flash-forward 13 years sequel of one of her first novels (maybe her very first? I don't remember) Good in Bed.

13 years later, Cannie's daughter is on the eve of her Bat Mitzvah and is going through a lot of changes in her 12, nearly 13 year old life. Not necessarily life changes per se, but more like changes in awareness about herself, her family, and her life in general. Cannie's daughter is rebelling against her "overbearing, smothering" mother and the novel is told from both the mother and daughter's viewpoints. This is a very unique oppurtunity for the reader to see both sides of a situation, experience both character's feelings, etc. It makes for a very well rounded novel.

I really enjoyed the story, the characters, and everything about this novel. I have not yet read a book from Jennifer Weiner that I did not enjoy, and this was another great read.

1 comment:

Please Share Your Thoughts!